Jul 2, 2008

I am desperate

Greyson likes to bite. And he has bitten about 10+ times. First it was at my sisters when she was watching him. He was biting my cousins little girl (my sister watched her also) He would look like he was hugging her and he would bite her. Well my cousin took her son out of my sisters care after the 4th bite. But now my son goes to a babysitter that has been in our family for 15+ years and she's really good. Since he has been there he has bitten the same little boy the same age as him like 6+ times. Today I went to pick him up and he had bit a 4 month old just sitting in her bouncer. My son is not a hyper kid, listens for the most part. We have put him in time out, swatted his hand, sternly said NO. But he just won't stop. I called the pediatrician and she said some kids just go through this and to put him in time out. He doesn't care if he's in time out. I am afraid I am gonna lose my babysitter if he doesn't stop. I just don't know what to do next!

2 comments:

Huse Yo Mama said...

Okay, this might seem a bit different, but Lorelai hits. Usually it's with a large, hard, plastic toy. She is pretty aggressive and I find myself embarrassed and apologizing to other moms a lot. I found two great articles for you.

This first one makes a great point. Lavish praise to the bitten child. I know you aren't there, but maybe you could share these with the babysitter and ask her to try to be on the same page as you. We have started to give lots of attention to Lorelai's "victim" and it's made her stop and look at us like "wait a minute!" Usually, Lorelai hits because someone has something she wants or they took something from her.

So, check out these articles and see if anything helps.

Also, I know it SUCKS right now and I'm praying that you don't lose your babysitter, but remember that it's a phase and it WILL end if handled correctly!!

http://www.clubmom.com/display/253299

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/1106_biting.htm

AliciaDawn said...

Thanks Rachel for these links! I will most definitely read them!!!