Oct 22, 2010

Carlos left Mexico when he was 14 because his Dad was an alcoholic and abused him. He pulled Carlos out of school at the age of 12 to work for the family. His uncle knew what was going on and asked him if he wanted to come to the US. So he came here illegally. I met him in 1998 and moved in with him 6 months later. At that time I didn't know he wasn't legal. I just knew I loved him. We married 4 years later and now have been married 8 years. A lot of people think once you're married, they become legal. Well that's not the case, I wish. For the past 4 years we have been working with an immigration attorney to make him legal. I guess I never thought he would ever have to actually leave. We were told he would, but hoped things would change with the laws and he would be able to become legal while he was here. After filing tons of paperwork and paying a lot of money the day has come for Carlos to go back to Mexico to become legal. He has an interview at the Mexican embassy on October 29th at 11:15. He will have to go to 2 interviews. Only after the first one can he schedule the 2nd one. That is where 2-6 months comes from. It takes a while to get the appointment. The first interview they will make him take a blood test and prove he's not on drugs or been in any trouble here in the US. The 2nd interview is when Carlos will get to introduce his life here with us. Then he will show pictures of our lives together dating back to 1998. Each one had to be dictated by me as to what was going on in the picture and the year. We had to get together letters from people in my family, our counselor and others saying how they knew Carlos and saying why they think he needs to be here. I also had to write one. You can imagine how emotional I got while typing that up. I have so many people asking why he has to go back to Mexico. Ever since 9-11, becoming legal here is much harder. It's a good thing, but not for us. It has been very tough going through this. I would never wish this pain on anyone. I love my husband so very much. He cares so much for me and Greyson.

Right now I just need strength and prayer, tons of it. I have never been alone, and Carlos has never been back to Mexico since he was 14. The only thing he is excited about is seeing his Mom for the 1st time in 16 years. Other than that he is scared to go back because it is so dangerous there. There was no way of getting around him going back. It's just the way it has to be. I am mostly sad about him not getting to kiss his son goodnight every night or just tell him I love you face to face. I know my husband will be back and our lives together will be much better and more complete, but getting there sucks.
I wanted to blog about this because I have tons of people asking me WHY? I hope this will help you to understand. It's just the way it has to be. I wish it were different and easier.

I want to thank every one of my friends for being here for me through prayer and sharing all your kind words. I love you all and you will never know much I need you right now.
When Carlos comes home we are going to have a HUGE celebration! I will make sure to keep everyone posted.

post signature

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

All the best on your path! Fingers crossed :)

From Poland