Jan 17, 2008

A new place to live

Today my Mom got a call that the hospital was releasing my Grandma and wanted to put her in a nursing home. WHAT?? She just got out of ICU a few days ago...and she's leaving the hospital already? Boy, they don't mess around. So, today Gramma went to a nursing home. Something we have all dreaded even thinking about the day it would come. How sad, she's going to have a hard time with this, I just know it.
Last night I went to the hospital to visit her by myself. As soon as I got in her room she looked at me and said, "I just wanna make sure that money gets in the bank."
I'm thinking...huh? Then after hearing her say there was smoke in the hallway about 10 times and there were big black bugs on the ceiling, I realized she was hallucinating or her dementia was really taking a turn for the worse all of a sudden. That would be really fast if so. I was feeding her some pureed beef stew..ewwww and mashed potatoes and she said "Watch out now so that doesn't fall on your head." I turned around and I guess she thought the Cardinals balloon she got from someone was going to hit me??? That would be pretty painful. I'm sorry I have to joke about it to keep from crying. I hope my Gramma does well at this nursing home and she impresses the hell out of them. Maybe they'll let her go back home. I know, wishful thinking. I love that woman.

No comments: